Setting up MFA for your O365 Account (Microsoft Authenticator App)
Due to recent security requirements from Microsoft, MFA must be enabled for all O365 Partner accounts. Even though MFA is only required for Partner accounts at this time, it is still recommended that MFA be enabled for all O365 users. This article will walk through the steps required to complete the MFA setup for an O365 account.
1. Launch a browser of your choice and navigate to https://portal.office.com. If you see other accounts listed click Use Another Account.
2. Next enter your O365 username then click Next.
3. Next enter your password then click Sign in. If you don't know your password you can use the Forgot my password link or contact your Help Desk for assistance.
4. Next you will likely see a window that says "More Information Required". Click Next on this window.
Note: you'll only see this window if MFA has been enabled for your account by an Admin. If MFA has not been enabled for your account please ask your Help Desk or Admin for assistance.
5. Next you should see the "Additional security verification" window. In the "How should we contact you?" section you can choose Authentication phone, Office phone, or Mobile app. The most user friendly option is Mobile app so we will choose this option for our example. Once you select Mobile app you can choose to "Receive notifications for verification" or "Use verification code". In our example we will choose "Receive notifications for verification". Once you've selected your desired settings click Setup.
If you choose Authentication Phone or Office Phone you'll be required to enter a telephone number. If you're using an Authentication Phone you can receive the verification code via text message or phone call. If you're using Office Phone the only option is to receive a call.
6. Since we chose Mobile app in our example the next steps is Configuring the mobile app. To complete this process we must install the Microsoft Authenticator app from the app store. Once the Authenticator app is installed click Add Account then choose Work or School. Next you'll scan the image in the Configure mobile app window on your machine. To see the complete Microsoft Authenticator steps please reference this article: Microsoft Authenticator Setup for O365 Accounts. Once the Authenticator app is setup click Next in the Configure mobile app window on your machine.
7. After clicking Next you'll see a "Checking activation status" message that should change to "Mobile app has been configured for notifications and verification codes". If you receive an activation failed message it may have taken you too long to complete the process. If this occurs click Setup again and repeat the steps. Once you receive the "Mobile app has been configured for notifications and verification codes" message click Next.
8. Next the Additional security verification window will attempt to verify it can reach your device. Approve the verification request on your mobile device to continue.
9. Next the Additional security verification window will prompt you to enter a phone number in case you lose access to the mobile app. Select your Country Code then enter your number and click Next.
10. Next the Additional security verification window will provide an app password in case you use any applications that can't use a phone to secure your account. We recommend saving the app password in a secure location for later use. You can always create a new app password at a later time as well. This article walks you through creating a new app password for O365: Creating an App Password for MFA in O365. Once you're finished with the app password click Done.