Setting MFA for O365 to use Microsoft Authenticator App (After Initial Setup)
Did you already setup MFA for O365 to use text message codes but you're getting tired of entering codes? Not to worry, the Microsoft Authenticator App doesn't require codes and many users prefer the Authenticator App over other methods. This article will walk through setting up the Microsoft Authenticator App after you've completed the initial MFA setup with text message codes.
1. Launch a browser of your choice and navigate to https://portal.office.com. If you see other accounts listed click Use Another Account.
2. Next enter your O365 username then click Next.
3. Next enter your password then click Sign in. If you don't know your password you can use the Forgot my password link or contact your Help Desk for assistance.
4. If you setup MFA for text message codes, like we did for this example, you'll receive the Enter Code window where you enter the code from your mobile device. Once you enter the code click Verify.
5. Now that you're logged in click the gear icon in the upper-right corner then click Update Contact Preferences.
6. In the next window you should land on the Security and Privacy tab. From the Security and Privacy tab click Additional Security Verification then click Update your phone numbers used for account security.
7. In the Additional Security Verification window click Set up Authenticator app.
8. In the Configure mobile app window you'll need to follow the steps to install the Microsoft Authenticator App on your device then scan the image provided. If you need the specific steps of this process please see: Microsoft Authenticator Setup for O365 Accounts. Once you've finished the app set up click Next. After clicking next the MFA setup window will attempt to verify your device by sending a verification request. Simply click Approve on your mobile device to complete the verification.
9. At this point the Microsoft Authenticator set up is complete. You can confirm this on the Additional security verification page by verifying the Authenticator app or Token check-box is now checked. You should see your mobile device listed as well and if you ever need to remove the device from your Authenticator app set up click Delete next to your device.